Coastal structures reliable design, sediment transport estimation and future planning all depend on using the accurate wave data. As the second phase of the project Monitor SB&B, a 25 year hindcast (1984-2008) has been provided for the southern shore lines of Iran in Persian Gulf and Hormoz Strait. The key aspects of the project are as follows:
• An improved inlput wind field , and also expansion of the driving forces for the wave model by applying the wind station data in Persian gulf and it’s calibration by wind measurements obtained from the QuikSCAT satellite. The QuikSCAT sattelite measures the overwater wind speed with the directions two times a day in 90% of the world oceans.
• Performing a comprehensive validation compare to the sattelite altimeter data through several years and also comparing with the various wave buoys and the measurements performed by ADCP.
• Using a third generation advanced wave model, which is the model WaveWatchIII belonging to NOAA (National Ocean and Aerospace of America). The model of WaveWatch III is applicable specially in estimating the long-shore waves which is significant in Omman sea and the eastern half of the Hormorz Strait. This is because of the advaneed numerical mthods which have been applied in the model.
The wave generating model of wave watch III which has been produced by NOAA, was applied for wave simulation.
The WaveWatch III is a third generation model wich solves the implementing spectral density equation for the directed spectrum-wave number. The key features of this model are as follows:
• Simulation of the wave production and decadence, non- linear resonance action and reaction, dissipation and the bed friction effects.
• The wave dispersion process with third accuracy order.
• Subgrid presenting for unsolved islands.
• Refraction due to the depth and currents.
• The diversity in choosing the model outputs.
the model general grid layout
2The development of the wind field forecast
The accurate definition of the wind field on the water, is one of the most important aspects of the wave predicting. The dominant wave directions varies from NW in the north west corner of the Persian golf to WNW in the kish island area and then to w in the Hormoz strait inlet.
The Iranian shorelines in Persian gulf are exposed To the winds from south- east which are powerful but are not as frequent as north winds. The SE winds and the corresponding waves are important specially toward the west end of the Iranian shoreline in Persian gulf.
Wind station locations
Wind point rose at the wind stations